- 335 views
How to clean terracotta tiles: a complete guide to cleaning and maintenance - Terracotta tiles are a beautiful addition to any home not only because of their warm and rustic aesthetic appearance, but also because of their inherent functional merits. However, with regular use, these floors can become dirty and stained, losing their appeal over time. Cleaning terracotta floors may seem like a daunting task, but with the correct tools and techniques for care and cleaning of terracotta tiles, it is possible to maintain their beauty over time. In this comprehensive guide we will take you step by step through how to clean a terracotta floor and its maintenance. From identifying the type of terracotta to choosing the most suitable cleaning products and methods, we will explain everything you need to know to keep your terracotta floors looking as good as new. So whether you are an experienced homeowner or a newcomer to terracotta floors, this guide is for you. Let's get started!
Advantages of terracotta tiles
Terracotta tiles offer many advantages over other floor coverings. First of all, terracotta is a natural material that does not emit toxic substances. In addition, terracotta is a durable material that lasts over time as long as it is properly maintained. Furthermore, terracotta tiles are easy to clean and do not require much routine maintenance if they are properly treated with hydro- and oil-repellent treatments every ten years. Finally, terracotta is a material with thermal inertia, i.e. capable of retaining heat inside the house in winter and coolness in summer.
Cleaning Terracotta Floors - Do's and Don'ts
Like all natural materials, terracotta has a natural porous surface, which is therefore prone to absorb dirt and oil stains if left untreated. On the contrary, if the tiles are properly treated with a water- and oil-repellent treatment, such as the "Bio" treatment used for Ecologica's handmade natural terracotta, the terracotta floor becomes a surface resistant to stains and household acids. In any case, cleaning terracotta floors requires special precautions to avoid damaging the surface.
Here are some tips for cleaning terracotta floors:
- Vacuum the terracotta floor thoroughly with a broom or hoover to remove dust and dirt residues accumulated on the surface.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the floor. Never use abrasive or acidic cleaning agents, which can damage the surface of the terracotta floor..
- Wash using lukewarm water combined with two glasses of white vinegar or neutral detergent such as Marseille soap, which will help degrease the surface without causing damage. To ensure that even the most stubborn and hidden dirt is removed, we recommend washing the terracotta floor twice.
- Dry the floor immediately after cleaning with a soft microfibre cloth.
How to clean rustic, rough terracotta floors
Among the various terracotta finishes available on the market is natural handmade terracotta, which, like Ecologica Bio's terracotta for example, has a slightly rough rustic surface. This makes it so popular as it is capable of warming and beautifying any room, even a minimalist one, thanks to its pink to orange hues. There are, however, a few precautions to follow in its maintenance. First of all, although the handmade terracotta of the Ecologica series is sold already treated, it is still advisable to wash it often to prevent dirt from settling in over time. Moreover, at least twice a month it is advisable to thoroughly clean the floor with a hard-bristled broom, using a solution of neutral floor cleaner and half a glass of vinegar. Wet the floor well with this mixture and scrub it thoroughly. Finally, dry with a clean mop.
Deep cleaning of terracotta floors
From time to time, terracotta floors may require a deeper cleaning to remove accumulated dirt and stains. Here is how to carry out a deep cleaning of terracotta floors:
- Remove dust and dirt from the floor with a broom or hoover.
- Use a specific cleaner for terracotta floors, diluted in warm water.
- Apply the cleaner to the floor surface and leave it to work for a few minutes.
- Use a soft brush or broom to deep clean the floor, working in sections.
- Rinse the floor with clean water and dry immediately.
Cleaning terracotta floors: the best cleaning products
There are many products available for cleaning terracotta floors, but some are more effective than others. Here are some of the best products for cleaning terracotta floors:
- Terracotta floor cleaner: a special cleaner for terracotta floors is the best choice for regular cleaning of terracotta floors.
- Sealant for terracotta floors: a sealant helps to protect the floor surface and prevent future damage.
- Wax for terracotta floors: a wax helps protect the floor surface and create a shiny finish.
Cleaning and maintaining terracotta floors is not a difficult task at all. With the right tools and techniques, you can keep your terracotta floors as good as new for many years to come. Remember to clean the floor regularly, seal it to protect it and take precautions to prevent future damage. With these simple tips, your terracotta floors will remain beautiful and durable over time.
Take a look at the handmade terracotta floor of Ecologica: handmade, pre-treated terracotta tiles, available in various sizes and in rustic and polished finishes!